Executive Director of Resource Management and Care Coordination, Full-Time, Days (8hrs)
MemorialCare Health System
Location: Long Beach, California
Internal Number: LON008794
The Executive Director of Resource Management and Care Coordination is the leader of care transitions for Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children’s and Women’s Hospital, Long Beach and is responsible for the clinical and administrative operations, lean management systems and continuous improvement for inpatient and ambulatory: clinical access, case management, social work, and palliative care. Responsible and accountable for care delivery and care coordination systems that support quality patient care that is safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable and patient/family-centered. Maintains clear communication with staff, physicians, health team members, colleagues, executive leadership and MemorialCare system to foster a team approach to problem solving to achieve patient/family centered care that optimizes health outcomes across the care continuum.
Establishes strategic and results oriented tactics, goals and objectives using a collaborative, team approach to deliver excellent patient experience, safety and care progression that is fiscally responsible and meets current and anticipated needs of the community served. Responsible for building relationships and creating partnerships with community organizations to build programs and resources. Responsible and accountable for working with all hospital departments to maximize throughput, care management, patient throughput, to enhance outcomes, prevent readmissions and reach organizational fiscal requirements. An executive lead of the Utilization Management Committee. Responsible for key metrics including length of stay, readmissions, authorization related financial performance, post-acute referral delays, care progression etc. Ensures systems and processes are in place to support regulatory and accreditation compliance with state and federal regulations and related accrediting bodies for all programs within the scope of the assigned departments and services within the defined span of control. Provides supervision and direction to managers to ensure that budgets, staffing resource levels are maintained and stresses accountability for performance expectations. Ensures the necessary human and other resources are available for the delivery of services and programs.
Leads as a professional role model, demonstrating commitment to the organizational values
• Demonstrates professional leadership practices that facilitates improvement and empowerment of management and staff in critical thinking and decision-making using Lean Management Philosophy, Systems and Tools.
• Formulates strategic and results oriented tactics, goals and objectives cascading from the Strategic Plan and executive leadership and MemorialCare system direction.
• Establishes collegial and collaborative relationships with the medical staff, nursing and inter-professional leaders. • Attends various designated and associated committee meetings to ensure coordination of efforts.
• Participates in campus wide and MemorialCare initiatives as necessary based on role, or as assigned. Directs clinical services and care coordination to ensure a safe environment for delivery of high-quality care.
• Implements and directs continuous improvement of clinical quality to achieve outstanding patient and family experience, safety and timely progression of care.
• Plans, controls, and directs all operational processes for high quality functioning of span of control.
• Directs appropriate personnel action in consultation with Human Resources, as needed, and promotes a Just Culture.
• Directs leaders in appropriate utilization of staffing and scheduling of staff to ensure productivity and safe environment for care delivery at all times
• Ensures leadership accountability for safe, efficient and effective utilization and coordination of staff
• Develops implements and maintains ongoing performance improvement and quality initiatives applying Lean Management Philosophy, Systems and Tools.
• Engages medical staff to ensure integration in inter-professional teamwork and collaboration that promotes effective communication for quality and safety. Implements and directs continuous improvements to meet organizational fiscal requirements.
• Formulates strategic and results oriented tactics to address revenue enhancement across all departments and settings.
• Engages medical staff and hospitalists to ensure collaboration that promotes appropriate resource utilization, charting and throughput.
• Responsible for key metrics including length of stay, readmissions, authorization related financial performance. Ensures areas within span of control meet organizational, regulatory and accreditation requirements.
• Educates managers and establishes processes to promote compliance and problem solving with clinical leadership and staff.
• Ensures ongoing survey readiness.
• Ensures oversight of the development of policies and procedures to ensure effective care delivery system that are created, reviewed and updated on a timely basis.
• Ensures utilization management, authorization and billing systems meet highest expectations and organizational fiscal requirements Promotes professional practice and workforce development.
• Collaborates with teams to develop and implement standards to maintain professional practice that promotes excellence and is consistent with community standards, legislative changes and current trends.
• Keeps abreast of current healthcare trends in order to develop administrative and clinical operational improvements that are evidence-based.
• Seeks to establish innovative methods that encourage the retention and recruitment of staff.
• Implements staff educational programs to ensure continuity of staffing with staff competent for related patient conditions. Ensures control for operating budgets within span of control.
• Preparation of operating budgets that forecast annual needs and reflect requirements for quality patient care delivery including expected changes related to business/health care/contract or community needs.
• Develops monitoring standards to maintain expenditures within budgetary parameters for bi-weekly, monthly and annual targets.